Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Quilts, Patterns & Fabric, OH MY!

Stumbling upon a find like this, really NEVER happens, and when it does, you have to jump upon it.

Growing up in a small town in Massachusetts, around a seamstress and many quilters in the family, I started sewing and quilting before I really can remember. My grandmother decided that she HAD to teach me how to use the sewing machine, since I started to teach myself, and you know what could potentially happen there... fingers getting stuck! Yikes! That had to be around when I was 5. I can even remember the first quilt I made, it was the Ohio Star.

Needless to say I have a great appreciation for the time and passion that goes into each end every quilt. Every quilt carries a story with it, every quilt have a 'mistake from God' (there always ends up being a 'mistake' and it's acceptable, well that's what's been passed down through generations, that the mistake was a gift from God.). I can only imagine the stories that were told during the making of the quilts. I know for myself, summers were spent quilting and sewing around my Mom, Grandmother, Aunts and Cousins, laughing and sharing.

For me handmade quilts are so much more than 'just' an item, they carry a story, and with that being said, I came across this collection of quilts, and fell in love.

Imagine the stories behind them, the bond that women(or men) could have shared during and after the creation of these quilts.

Take a look!












0 comments: