Monday, January 12, 2009

The art of LESS is MORE: Ruby’s Nursery

We all love the challenge of re-inventing the wheel... because it is possible (right?!). This was my chance to reinvent the lovely birds and branches we always see. The challenge was making it soft enough for the new baby, Ruby, but not making it to girly girl, and tying in the Dwell Studio sheets from Target.

The end result is a room that has a zesty pop, yet calming feel all in one breath. How did I accomplish that? I put a pop of color on the ceiling and window wall. This wall already had a bit of action on it with the window, and the dormer style roof slope, so that’s where I put the ‘accent’ color. To balance off the boldness of the green I added a soft latte color for the surrounding 3 walls.

For the branches and birds, I created a template of 3 birds that I created free-hand to keep the sizes consistent through out the room. Since the green was bold and the branches holding the birds could be too busy for the size of the room, I decided on picking 3 spots around the room to place the branches and birds. I also made a template out of circles on my computer, printed it out and cut them out as a template that also picked up the circle pattern in the bedding to sit as flowers in the trees. If you look closely you will notice that the green flowers are not the same color as the ceiling. I used a lighter value to give the room some movement without changing to much. White flowers were also added to give some depth from keeping things from looking too flat.

Wa-la! We have a little girls nursery all ready for her when she gets here in April!

P.S.- I had to top off the room with 2 little birds flying off!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Kam!!

Its absolutely stunning!
Wish you could have done Jesse's room!!!!!!

Kami Tremblay said...

Thanks Nienke! When we finally make it out to see you guys, he'll probably be older enough to tell me what he wants... I'll paint a room for you in a heart beat!